Skip to content
Millport Golf Club


Millport Golf Club was formed as the ‘Cumbrae Golf Club’ in 1888 by gentlemen members of the Glasgow Golf Club who wanted to play golf when on holiday in Millport and a few local worthies. The 9 hole course was opened on 2nd April on land rented from Mr Baillie of Damhead farm.

Sir Mathew Arthur of West Kilbride presented the first trophy, The Arthur Cup, in September 1888.

Following a change of ground leasing arrangements to lease directly from the Marquis of Bute, the club gathered momentum and a Clubhouse was erected in 1892.

In the same year the local MP Andrew Graham Murray presented a silver cleek for an Annual Competition between the Cumbrae Club and the Rothesay Club. This match continues to be keenly contested to this day.

In order to avoid confusion with Comrie Golf club, the name of the club was changed to The Millport Golf Club in 1900.

A new clubhouse which forms the basis of the present clubhouse was built in 1909. The course which had been originally designed by members of the club was improved under recommendation of James Braid and George Duncan in 1912 and 1913.

Due to congestion a second course was opened in June 1914 but the impact of the great war led to its closure in 1924.

The original course was modernised in 1933 with the introduction of additional bunkers and contouring of the greens. At this time an Open Amateur competition was inaugurated which led in 1935 to the first annual Cumbrae Cup competition.

Over the years various exhibition matches have taken place on the course. In 1948 two locals Willie and Jack McLauchlan played against Fred Daly and Harry Bradshaw and when the clubhouse was extended in 1963 another match between Eric Brown, Norman Drew, Finlay Morris and amateur Charlie Green took place.  In 2004, three times Open Champion Nick Faldo played an exhibition match and gave a golf clinic.

The centenary of the club was celebrated in 1988 with a dinner in the clubhouse at which the Marquis of Bute was the main guest. A Pro-Am competition was held that year for the first time.

The purchase of the golf course from the Bute Estate was completed in 1999.

A Centenary fete day was held on 27 June 2009 to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the erection of the clubhouse.